Have you heard about the Farmers’ Market Nutrition Coupon Program? Funded by the Ministry of Health, over 80 communities across BC receive coupons to be redeemed for healthy, LOCAL food at farmers’ markets. Eligible coupon holders range from seniors, people with disabilities, low-income young families, and pregnant women.
Here in Creston, our market partners with Valley Community Services to distribute coupons to 25 local families in need. Last year, the Columbia Basin trust secured an additional funding for 10 more families in Creston. Each family receives $21 a week in coupons that they may spend at the market on local produce, meat, and eggs. Vendors who accept these coupons are fully reimbursed making this program a win-win for both parties!
While we are so happy to facilitate this program here in Creston, we recognize that there may still be a huge financial barrier to affording local products in our Valley. That is why this year we have decided to take matters into our own hands and fundraise money to support additional families right here in Creston. While the program is BC-wide, any donations made locally will be reinvested right into our local program.
The Fall Fair Food Feast was a resounding success last year to celebrate the Fall Fair’s 100th anniversary. This year we are so grateful that they have agreed to donate all proceeds of the dinner towards our town’s Farmers’ Market Nutrition Coupon Program with the goal of sponsoring many more local families.
Tickets can be purchased in store at Black Bear Books and Fly in the Fibre for $35. Tickets are also available for purchase online following this link.
We are so excited for this event, and feel it is the perfect addition to the Fall Fair which already celebrates the bounty of the valley, local produces, and Creston’s outstanding sense of community.
If you are interested in donating today, please visit BCAFM’s website by clicking the button below. Charitable tax receipts are provided.
For our local participants looking to spend some coupon cash this weekend, here is a list of all vendors who will be accepting coupons this Saturday. Harvest season is in full swing and there will be so much to choose from at this week’s market. Enjoy!
- Ahlefeldy Good Growers (Garlic)
- Cartwheel Farm (Beets, Onions, Radishes, Turnips, Greens, Zucchini, Tomatoes, Squash and so much more)
- Cookville Community Farm (Carrots, Cauliflower, Eggplants, Leeks, Parsnips, Tomatoes, and so much more!)
- Flamenco Farm (Strawberries, Eggs, Cabbage, Kohlrabi, and much more)
- Frei-Loader Farms
- JRD Farms (Apricots, Beans, Garlic, Peaches, and more)
- Ki Mana Acres (Salad Greens and Microgreens)
- Kootenay Mountain Organics (Organic Raspberries)
- Picnic Patch (Cucumbers, Peppers, Tomatoes)
- Purple House (Pickling Cukes, Sweet and Hot Peppers, Tomatoes)
- Riehl Corn (you guessed it…corn!)
- Root & Vine Acres (Eggs, Assorted local pork products)
- Spectrum Farm (Everything in every colour of the rainbow – Goji berries to purple cauliflower)
- Tarzwell Farm (Beef, Eggs)